Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Truth About Zucchini-Tinis

Recently, I forwarded a post from Food Network about a Zucchini-Tini that Claire Robinson did with an Asian Fusion dinner with Sake Steamed Sea Bass With Soy Buerre Blanc.  I tried the dinner a week ago and it was awesome!!  Here is the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/5-ingredient-fix/300-series/asian-fusion.html

I used halibut instead of sea bass but it was really out of this world. I had never made Buerre Blanc Sauce before and I must say, first: it is easy and incredibly silky and delicious.....and second: the Weight Watcher Police were at my door within minutes. But it was worth it, and you just can't feel that guilty about indulging in a few tablespoons of heaven on a fish that is already delicious. I had dreams about that sauce all night and was really upset when I found out my husband threw the leftovers away. I had visions of it on my egg the next morning.  Oh well.  Try it, you will love the whole meal.

I saved the Zucchini-Tini for the weekend and made them for my sister and niece and I.  It's not that I don't drink alone.....as many of you know....it's that I don't drink gin alone. In fact, I don't drink gin much at all since my going away party when I moved back to California from England (and that was 30 years ago!!!). But here it is:
Zucchini-tini

Looks good, doesn't it? Well to be honest, I was so excited, thinking I could use up all my garden zucchinis with this refreshing drink. The recipe called for one large zucchini. I used two huge ones and got one half cup of juice out of it after putting it through an industrial squeeze. Also, it called for simple syrup made 1:1 sugar and water. Too sweet! It also calls for both sake and gin. Well, I kept adding gin, and that improved it. But in the end, it just tasted like sweet zucchini juice. I poured some unsweetened lime juice into it which cut the sugar and masked the zucchini juice and voila......we drank rather fancy, doctored up gin gimlets. They were very refreshing. Honestly, I think this one was a bit of a dud. But do try the fish dish. It is outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment