Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

My Grateful Years


 This morning I went to the Campbell Farmers Market with my sister, Julie and niece, Melissa.  We go nearly every Sunday morning.  We have come to know many of the farmers and we are always welcomed by them.  I started this journey to buy local whenever I can after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma , a book my sister Chris recommended for our book club.  Every so often you read a book that changes your path even in a small way.  A tweak, so to speak.



Dahlias from the Farmer's Market


The book made me much more aware of what it means to eat "clean" food.  To know what is in the food I'm eating.  To care about whether the eggs, dairy and meat I eat come from animals that are treated humanely.  To support local farmers in order to try and preserve honest, wholesome food that is grown on a smaller scale, with less pesticide and less chemical fertilizer.  To try to find heirloom seeds for my own home garden.

I am not an expert on these things.  Not by a long shot.  But I am learning.  And I am grateful that we have such an abundance of wonderful, locally grown and organic food that is easily accessible.  Oh, and FUN!  Going to the markets are fun, too. 
Melissa with a Basil Bouquet
 


 



1 comment:

  1. Great post Sallee! I am looking forward to following your blog.

    BTW, I love the Farmer's market, too! :)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete